Monday, July 21, 2008

Liver Cancer The Battle Begins

Brenda told me 10 years ago she was diagnosed with Hep C. We knew she would eventually require a liver transplant.

She went to the University of Omaha and began the process of transplant a few years after being diagnosed. At that time she was not disabled and had private insurance through the company she worked for. She was on the inferion treatment at a cost of $3500 a week...her company canceled their insurance because of cost and the new insurance company would not cover her....PREVIOUS CONDITION...those words so many Americans dread in this so called healthy and compassionate country.

No insurance to pay for a transplant U of Omaha wanted her to do her own fund raising. What a laugh! Living in a small town in the middle of Kansas...what's a fund raiser? $50.00 $100.00? and believe me that would be a sizable amount. So now what's left?

She eventually moved to Emporia and took a job caring for the dieing. Yep that's right Hospice. She did this for about 7 years. During this time Brenda was finally granted disability. Medicare would now pay for her a liver transplant.

I took her to KU Medical Center on July 7, 2008 to begin the transplant process. On July 9, 2008 I brought her home to die. Her liver has a 4 inch tumor and her cancer markers are in the thousands.

It has been a revolving door with Hospice. They are angels.

She took a day to consider DNR papers. That means DO NOT RESUSCITATE. After a thought she looked at me and said she wanted to sign them....after signing she again looked at me and said "You know this means you cannot call an ambulance" Not a question...it was a fact.

2 comments:

Ma said...

Brenda, my brother, 53 is dying right now of ESLD..it has been a horror.. he's my twin..u have left here a tremendous birdseye view into my very near future..I am heartbroken also...heartbroken..I don't know what I want you to tell me, just knowing you're here helps..Sincerely, Melissa, or Meez as my twin brother Mark calls me!

ramkumar said...

Thanks for this blog, I think its really helpful for many, and also may avoid unnecessary expense to Docs.This is very nice thread discussing on Liver Diesases.